On March 31st I shall cease to function as the President of OCA (India) and, at this juncture, it is only appropriate that I bid adieu to all the fellow members of the executive team and pen a few words for fellow OCs.
It was a steep learning curve to manage an organization without any authority to command compliance – to which I had earlier been familiar with. Nevertheless, some fellow members came forward to contribute time and effort and carried out work which many would find tiresome and mundane. Special mention in this behalf must be made of Neel Kamal Mehra and Ashwani Virk for their guidance and selfless work. Jaspal Sawhney was only a phone call away and credit is due to him too for helping us whenever we needed him. There were others who were critical and I thank them also as they kept us on our toes.
Such an Association’s primary object is to facilitate bonding and provide a platform for members to participate in furtherance of our objects but all this has to be on a voluntary basis. To this effect, an attempt has been made to update our data base of members with their latest coordinates and I sincerely hope that this exercise would be ongoing in the future. At the outset there was a feeling of exclusion among many younger members as they thought the OCA was a closed club. After much deliberation, the MOA was suitably amended for them to come on board as executive members of various chapters and the central body. Progress has been achieved in this behalf but I would appreciate it if even a larger number of later batches participate in these bodies. Even though an attempt has been made to put the Association on an even keel, much requires to be done at the Chapter level to involve members. We have a vast talent pool among our members and I urge them to step forward to attain our objects.
During our tenure we did take some initiatives such as extending monetary help to OCs in need to meet hospital bills or to undertake a climb of Mt. Everest (during the coming season). The celebrations of the Golden and Silver anniversaries of leaving school were formalized and I am glad that each of these classes made valuable additions to the school’s infrastructure. As a result we have a refurbished staff room, a visitor’s waiting room and the school swimming pool has a filter. A major project undertaken by the OCA last year was the installation of a Solar heating system for the main school and after its success a similar one has been ordered for the junior school. Besides providing a greener environment, it reduces drastically the school’s fuel bill. The ‘To do’ list is endless and I wish Sukhinder Singh and his team the very best in their task ahead.
Last but not the least I wish to thank D.C.Anand for his invaluable guidance and help to our Association and to the infrastructure placed at our disposal with the great assistance provided by Ms Gopa Seal of his company.
We shall prevail and
A meeting of the Selection Committee as per procedure laid down in the MOA took place on 23rd March 2015. The quorum comprised of the following:
Jaspal Singh, President Delhi Chapter, Sukhinder Singh Vice President OCA, B. M. Singh President.
After due deliberations it was decided to select Justice (retd) R S Sodhi to the post of Vice President. He shall assume his functions witheffect from 1st April 2015.
This selection was endorsed at the Executive Committee meeting held on 24th March 2015.
B M Singh
* Posted from WordPress™ for Android™ *
All members are informed that in accordance with the amended MOA, the OCA needs to select a Vice President who could assume the post with effect from 1st April 2015 when the present Vice President shall start functioning as President. Therefore, applications are invited by 15th of March 2015 from those OCs interested in being selected. The applicants should be persons of eminence and should give their complete bio-data along with a statement containing their vision for taking forward the objects of the OCA.
Minutes of Meeting AGM of OCA (INDIA) held on 29th September, 2014
Venue : Maple Room, India Habitat Centre
- The President welcomed all the members present and apprised them of various developments and works being undertaken by the OCA and its members to improve the infrastructure at Bishop Cotton School, Shimla, such as total refurbishing of the Staff Room at School, provision of a quality Filtration Plant for the Swimming Pool and installation of Solar water Heating Plant for the main school.
- The minutes of the Last AGM were duly approved and adopted.
- The balance sheet and final accounts of 2013-14 were approved.
- Secretary’s Report was put up by the Jt. Secretary and discussed with members.
Various issues were addressed to all the members, such as –
– A notice from the Registrar of Societies relating to the amended MOA was received by the society and is to be acted upon.
– Income assessment proceedings are being finalised and information furnished.
– Funds of the OCA (INDIA) to be utilized for the needy members.
– A low cost but effective Mobile application for fast & easy interaction between the OCs nationwide is to be initiated soon to establish a greater cause for mutual co-operation and betterment of Old student fraternity. A reputed IT firm ‘Campus Mall Pvt. Ltd.’ has agreed to develop the same for OCA(INDIA) which would be duly considered. They have also agreed to provide classy sportswear/memoriblia through e-commerce to members of OCA(INDIA).
– The traditional Annual Lunch of OCA(INDIA) held in February every year in Delhi has become synonymous with its identity and more popular amongst the OC fraternity and therefore shall continue to be hosted in Delhi at all times to come.
- An advice of a Company Secretary was sought to determine the implementation of Amended MOA according to whom the amended MOA would be in force from the day it was submitted with amendments in the Registrar’s office and it was duly accepted by the house.
- For selection of Post of Vice-President only two applications were received – that of Mr. Sukhinder Singh and Mr. Vivek Bhasin. The house moved a motion that only application of Mr. Sukhinder Singh should be considered since the second application of Mr. Vivek Bhasin was received only a day before the AGM and he himself was not present for the AGM. Mr. Sukhinder Singh accordingly was selected as the Vice-President and would function as the President from 01/04/2015.
- Two members were also elected to the executive committee members of OCA(INDIA) namely Mr. Vijay Khurana & Justice (retd) R.S.Sodhi.The present executive committee members would cease to be members from 01/04/2015. and the newly elected members along with the two to be chosen by the President and those nominated by the Chapters would form the Executive committee as per the MOA. It would therefore be in order for all the Chapters to conduct their elections according to the MOA (if not already done) and inform the OCA regarding these.
DATE : 30th September, 2013
REVISED* TIME : 3 PM*
Raunaq Room – PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry,
4/2 – Institutional Area,
August Kranti Marg,
New Delhi 110062
The UPDATED* Agenda and the Program is detailed below :
- Address by President Emeritus
- President’s address
- To approve the minutes of last AGM
- To approve and adopt the accounts of 2012-2013
- Secretary’s report
- * To apprise the members of the amended MOA and to seek ratification if required by the Registrar of Societies.
- * As this would be the transition year, to invite applications for the post of Vice President whose selection shall be made according to the clauses of the amended MOA. To also elect two members to the Executive Committee.
- Any other points with permission of the Chair
(Program will be followed by Tea)