BCS Founder’s Day
Year Unknown [between 1964~1976?]
Dr. Y. S. Parmar [first CM of Himachal Pradesh] meeting BCS Staff.
Seen in the photo [left to right]: Dr. Parmar – Mr. Anil Chaudhary – Mrs. Chaudhary – Mr. Roshan Lal Vashisht – Mrs. Roshan Lal – Mr. Gauri Shankar [shaking hands with Dr. Parmar] – Mrs. Shankar – Mr. L.C. Tuli.
Photo sent by Rajiv Shankar -1962-1974 Curzon – [Mr. Gauri Shankar’s son]
We have received a treasure trove of photographs [around 680]. This precious collection has been built by Kanwarjit Singh [Partap] Grewal over the years by photos he has in his collection, by those received from various OCs and some that he came across. Partap’s message and the gallery to his DropBox folders appear via this LINK
J. S. Grewal [1970 Batch] sent in this very interesting excerpt from a book he is reading “The Frontier Scouts” by Charles Chenevix Trench, in which he came across a reference to an Old Cottonian – Lt. Sharif Khan aka Sharifo . There was an incident  where he [Sharifo] was burying a fellow officer Andrew McKenzie, he mentions the Lord’s Prayer and how remembered the prayer from his days at Bishop Cotton School Simla:
In 1944, Khojak Brigade on Baluchistan frontier was disbanded. In March 1945 Tal Brigade was disbanded and some of its units were assigned to Kohat Brigade. In April 1946, Indian army Commander-in-Chief Field Marshal Claude Auckinleck presided a high-level conference at Peshawar. It was attended by Governor NWFP, Agent to the Governor General Baluchistan, British counsel at Kabul and senior military and civil officers. A unanimous decision was reached to replace regular troops in tribal areas with scouts and khassadars. It was to be gradual withdrawal in five phases and to be completed in two years. It was with this background that Pishin Scouts were raised and decision was made to raise Central Waziristan Scouts and retrain Malakand battalion. Khyber Rifles was re-raised on 26 April 1946. The nucleus was from war time raised Afridi battalion. Lieutenant Colonel Muhammad Sharif Khan ‘Sharifo’ (5/10 Baluch Regiment) was appointed commandant of Khyber Rifles. Khassadars were to be trained and disciplined to make it a reliable partner of scouts. To achieve this objective, in 1946, a new position called district officer in charge of Khassadars was created. In 1946, in North Waziristan about two thousand khassadars were put under the command of Frank Leeson.